With only a few simple ingredients, you can prepare this rich and creamy French classic. The key to this recipe is allowing the custards to cool after cooking and to slowly caramelize the sugar topping until it reaches a deep golden brown color. Bon Appetit!
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Fine Mesh Kitchen Strainer
- 4 Ounce Ball Jars with Lids
- Sauce Pot
- Chef Knife
- 250 ml Whole Milk
- 375 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 each Vanilla Bean Pod split and scraped
- 7 each Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup White Granulated Sugar
- Add enough water to the sous vide container to ensure that the ingredients are fully submerged and the minimum quantity of water is reached. Complete set up by securing the circulator tower to the sous vide container.
- While the water bath is heating to the target cooking temperature, please move on to preparing the custard.Temperature: 185.0 °F Time: 45 minutes
- Using a paring knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise before scraping the vanilla bean pulp away from the pod.1 each Vanilla Bean Pod
- In a small saucepot, combine the whole milk and heavy cream, along with the vanilla bean seeds. Gently bring the milk and cream to a gentle simmer. Once at a simmer, remove it and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.250 ml Whole Milk, 375 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and granulated sugar. Mix until the yolks form a cohesive mixture and the sugar has dissolved.7 each Egg Yolks, 1/4 cup White Granulated Sugar
- Slowly whisk in the cooled milk and cream mixture into the egg yolks and sugar. Mix until well incorporated before straining through a fine mesh strainer.
- Add approximately 1/2 cup of the custard mixture to each of the 4 oz. jars. Make sure not to overfill and that the lids are tightened to each jar.
- Using a pair of tongs or a jar lifter, gently lower the Crème Brûlées into the water bath.
- Allow the Crème Brûlées to sous vide for the duration of the given cooking time.
- After the Crème Brûlées have finished cooking, carefully remove them from the water bath and allow them to cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- To finish, top each jar with sugar. Pour off any excess sugar. Using a torch slowly caramelize the sugar until it reaches a deep caramel color. Allow the sugar to cool for 1 to 2 minutes before serving.
Nutrition PER SERVING
Calories: 207kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 3gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 25mgPotassium: 94mgSugar: 9gVitamin A: 758IUVitamin C: 0.3mgCalcium: 72mgIron: 0.1mg
(Nutrition information is calculated automatically by Spoonacular API and should be considered an estimate.)