Sous vide eggnog is the easiest way to get perfect homemade eggnog every time. Surprise your family at the Christmas party with this flawless treat!
What is eggnog?
Eggnog is a rich, creamy beverage traditionally enjoyed during the holiday season, particularly in the United States and Canada. It’s typically made with milk, cream, sugar, whipped egg yolks, and, in some recipes, egg whites, which give it a frothy texture. The drink is often flavored with spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Eggnog is frequently served chilled and can be enjoyed in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions. When alcohol is added, it’s usually a spirit like rum, brandy, or bourbon. The combination of creamy texture, sweet flavor, and warming spices makes eggnog a festive and indulgent treat during the colder months, especially around Christmas and New Year’s celebrations.
Why sous vide eggnog?
Sous vide is a relatively hands-off cooking method. Once you set the temperature and time, the water bath maintains consistent conditions, so you don’t have to monitor it constantly. This makes it easier to achieve perfect results every time.
The ease and convenience of using an all-in-one sous vide machine like the Typhur Sous Vide Station makes it an excellent choice for home cooks, especially for preparing dishes like eggnog.
Can sous vide eggnog give you salmonella?
You may ask if sous vide cooking is safe. Compared to traditional methods using raw eggs, sous vide eggnog is a cooked eggnog recipe. By controlling the cooking temperature and time precisely, sous vide cooking allows for the pasteurization of eggs in the eggnog.
Pasteurization is the process of heating food to a specific temperature for a set amount of time to kill harmful bacteria. In the case of sous vide eggnog, any salmonella that may be present, will be killed by maintaining a temperature of around 141.8°F (61°C) for 1 hour.
The Typhur Sous Vide Station, with its high level of accuracy of +/- 0.05˚C (0.09˚F), is an excellent sous vide machine to ensure food safety and achieve the perfect cooking results.
Now, find the complete sous vide eggnog recipe here.
- Mixing Bowl
- 16 Ounce Ball Jars with Lids
- 7 Large Egg
- 14.8 oz Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Dark Rum
- 1/2 tbsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- Add enough water to the tank to ensure that the ingredients are fully submerged and the minimum quantity of water is reached. Complete set up by securing the sous vide cooker to the tank.
- While the water bath is heating to the target cooking temperature, please move on to preparing the eggnog.Temperature: 141.8 °F Time: 1 hour
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisky until all of the ingredients are well combined.14.8 oz Whole Milk, 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar, 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract, 1/4 cup Dark Rum, 1/2 tbsp Nutmeg Powder, 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder, 7 Large Egg
- Carefully pour the mixture into each of the ball jars. Make sure not to overfill the jars and ensure that the lids can be easily screwed on and off. Then tighten the lids on each jar.
- Using a pair of tongs or a jar lifter, gently lower jars into the water bath.
- Let the eggnog undergo a sous-vide process for the given cooking time.
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully remove each jar from the water bath.
- Serve as desired!
Nutrition PER SERVING
(Nutrition information is calculated automatically by Spoonacular API and should be considered an estimate.)